Changing your tickets
- If you would like to change your destination, route, or any other details specified on your basic fare ticket, you may do so only once before the ticket expires without incurring a handling charge. If you would like to change the train on which you have a seat reservation, you may do so only once before the train departure without incurring a handling charge.
- For tickets purchased by credit card, please make the changes with the station or travel agency at which they were purchased.
Unused basic fare tickets can be refunded in full with a 220 yen handling charge if presented within the period of ticket validity. The same rule applies to supplemental charge tickets for non-reserved seats. For supplemental charge tickets for reserved seats or berths, the refund policy is as follows:
- Full refund with a 330 yen handling charge per ticket if presented no later than two days before the departure date.
- 70% refund if presented less than two days before the departure date but before the departure time.
- No refund after the departure time. If you are unable to use your berth or reserved seat ticket on the designated train due to operating difficulties of JR Central, you are entitled to a full refund. If you miss the train on which you have a seat reservation, you may only travel using a non-reserved seat in a train of the same category leaving on the same day.