FY2008 Key Measures and Capital Investment
March 25, 2008,
Central Japan Railway Company (JR Central)
<FY2008 Key Measures>
Along with expanding safety related investment, we will prioritize ensuring safe and reliable transportation, which is the foundation of the railway business, by thoroughly training our employees.
- Tokaido Shinkansen
Along with continuing concentrated introduction of the Series N700, we will gradually increase operation of Series N700 "Nozomi" services that directly link the Tokaido and Sanyo section. Furthermore, we will also create an Internet-accessible environment on the Series N700 and work to strengthen transport infrastructure by enhancing electric power facilities for train operation and increasing the number of platforms and draw-out tracks at Shin-Osaka Station.
- Superconducting Maglev
Along with extending the Yamanashi Maglev Test Line to 42.8km and steadily proceeding with drastic renovations of facilities on the priority section aimed at conducting practical use confirmation tests, in order to realize a Tokaido Shinkansen bypass, namely the Chuo Shinkansen, we will also commence preparations for the construction of it.
- Sales and Station Facilities
We will increase the number of users of both "EX-IC (Express IC) Service," a new IC service to be leveraged by the Tokaido Shinkansen, and the conventional line IC card "TOICA" service. And we will continue to renovate major stations such as Tokyo Station.
- Technological development
We will promote technological developments in a wide variety of fields, focusing on structural enhancement mainly of the Tokaido Shinkansen, in an effort to prevent damage from earthquakes. In addition, we will also proactively advance efforts to protect the global environment.
We are striving for smooth operation of all businesses associated with the "Shin-Yokohama Central Building," which commercially opened in March 2008, and we are steadily continuing with the development of land formerly used for company housing such as the term II handover of "Nagoya Central Garden" condominiums.
<Capital Investment Characteristics>
- We will continue to actively implement investment that ensures safe and reliable transportation, such as anti-earthquake reinforcement work on elevated track columns and embankments of the Tokaido Shinkansen and the introduction of ATS-PT on conventional lines.
- We will introduce new Series N700 rolling stock in a concentrated manner.
- We expect total non-consolidated investment for FY2008 to be 290 billion yen and include the following (2 billion yen increase over previous year's plan):
Safety-related: 189 billion yen (20 billion yen increase over previous year's plan)
"Express Reservation"-related: 15 billion yen (4 billion yen decrease over previous year's plan)
Yamanashi Maglev Test Line extension promotion-related: 13 billion yen (7 billion yen increase over previous year's plan)
- Furthermore, on a consolidated basis, we expect a year-on-year decrease in investment by 14 billion yen for a total of 315 billion yen due to completion of the "Shin-Yokohama Central Building."
For more details, please see below.
>>> FY2008 Key Measures and Related Capital Investment